Saturday, April 10, 2010

Music for a Cause


Tomorrow is a big night... something I've been planning for a couple months now. I will be doing a music gig, Music for the Community #4, as a fundraiser to benefit the residents at the local nursing home where I sing a couple times a month and to benefit a local animal rescue organization run solely by volunteers. These are two areas that touch my heart deeply, and I wanted to do something special for them, to help make their lives a little better, their work a little easier.

I'll do a solo set covering some songs by my favorite songwriters as well as some originals. The second set will be with the band, The Ramshackles, and we'll do more originals and more favorite songs. Which songwriters, you might ask? Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, Townes Van Zandt, Kris Kristofferson, Emmylou, Lucinda Williams, Steve Goodman... and more, including a song by my brother who is a pretty good songwriter himself!

For over two weeks, I've struggled with some mysterious and weird physical issues, as many of you know, and I truly think I've willed myself to get better enough to do the show, because, as the saying goes, "the show must go on!" I did not want to cancel or reschedule; I simply wanted to follow through with my plans and to get some money in the hands of these two groups so that they can use it to continue to do the oh-so-important work that they do in easing the lives of and tending to the needs of those dear old folks and in rescuing, caring for, and treating, and finding homes for neglected and stray animals. So this afternoon will be a long practice with the band since those have been rare of late. I'm feeling pretty good right now and hopefully my energy level will stay up because the motivation is truly there! Wish us luck, a good crowd, and a full donation basket!

4 comments:

  1. Good going, Rebecca! Wish I could be there in the audience...hope you are feeling better and it keeps up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you well for the show, Rebecca!! Lovely event..and hope your energy stays up there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!!! I wish I was close and could attend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful event. Please take care of yourself and hope you enjoy the performance!

    ReplyDelete